Tuesday 8 July 2008

A missioner? in my system? I don't think so

Mal: "Y'all see the man hanging out of the spaceship with the really big gun? Now I'm not saying you weren't easy to find but it was kinda out of our way, and he didn't want to come in the first place. Man's lookin' to kill some folk. So really, it's his will y'all should worry about thwarting." (to Simon) "Gotta say, doctor, your talent for alienatin' folk is near miraculous."

Simon: "Yes, I'm very proud."


All the pieces are in place, it's just a matter of time. Comms are silent, waiting for that magic moment when I'm given the go to warp in.

Seconds turn into minutes as the waiting continues, the cruiser being a difficult mark to probe out in a mission as it's already small signature radius would be further masked by deadspace interference. My on board scanner showed the mark was busy salvaging as wrecks were disappearing off scan.

Local Intel channels were buzzing at the prospect of a carrier kill but the bitching and moaning had me cold so I waited for my friend to report back on the cruiser. I was itching for a kill, been a bit quiet so patience was the order of the day.

"Warp to me now"

WARP DRIVE ACTIVE

Deep in system a Claymore uncloaks, Keira activates her gang assist modules, I would need every bit of speed and range on my tackling gear to catch my prey. The rack of modules is primed to overload as I burst out of warp, 15 clicks from the acceleration gate, I approach, time is of the essence.

My Jaguar arrives at the gate and I activate, launched into deadspace, the Caldari cruiser still there, I drop from warp, 30 clicks from his position as he salvages a small wreck. My two point warp scrambler is primed to overheat, with Keira's bonuses I'll need to get within 18km. I hit the afterburners and approach, willing my Jaguar to close the distance, not locking till I reach that magic number' I close very quickly and once in range I initiate lock, scrambler and web kick in as it resolves and it's on. Guns spin up and salvo after salvo of Republic Fleet EMP rounds smash into the shields of my prey, the additional Caldari Navy Gremlin rockets adding to the slaughter, his drones are out and are set on me, I switch my weapons to them and they explode in single volleys. My attention is now firmly fixed on the Caracal as my weapons once again bridge the gap with round after round, rocket after rocket and soon he's deep into structure. I hold fire and initiate a conversation but it is not answered, my thoughts of ransom now vanish, the final sliver of his hull disappearing under two salvoes, the cruiser shudders violently and then explodes into nothingness. The pilot was alert enough to warp his escape pod out before I could lock but the fight was over, my shield systems intact, small repairs to my weapons and tackling gear all that was needed as I scooped the loot and warped out to a safespot to wait out my GCC.

Not an epic kill but a strangely satisfying one, mainly because my friend managed to probe out a cruiser in a mission, not something that's too easy.

Meanwhile local Intel channels were starting to remind me of 0.0 alliance channels as the whining increased as the carrier kill was aborted as the hostiles warped in more battleships and more carriers and it made me thankful I'm an independent pilot.

No comments: